It has been long since a business path was curling through wild forests of the Beskydy mountains and foothills from the pontifical Olomouc to royal Krakow. It was full of traps and danger whether threatening from robbers or wild animals. So the merchants must have certainly been happy when two villages turned into two towns at the junction of the Morávka creek and Ostravice river in the 14th century where they could take a relatively secure rest. Místek on the Moravian bank, which surprisingly had originally been called Friedeberg, was built by the inhabitants as Nové Místko (new place), from here Místek, after it had been plundered by enemy armies at the end of the 14th century. The Jamnice village turned into the city of Frýdek.
The inhabitants mainly lived on agriculture, trade and crafts and they feared fires, floods, plaque (epidemics) and wars the most. During the last one (the World War II - in 1943), the Germans turned Frýdek and Místek into a Moravian-Silesian twin-city. And it remained this way. Only the name changed for several times, Frýdek became Frýdek-Místek for a while, then it was Místek, and the city returned to combination of the previous names - Frýdek-Místek - in 1955. In the present, it integrates towns with poetic names - Chlebovice, Zelinkovice, Lysůvky, Lískovec and Skalice. The city, with the population of 60,000, is a statutory city. Each of the five centuries gave something to it, so it can currently pride itself on a lot of interesting buildings, events, historical objects, but also beautiful nature surrounding it. So let’s get attracted by some of the sights and meet people, myths, miracles and realistic events associated with them.
City Coat of Arms
What is interesting about the Frýdek’s coat of arms?
The first letter of the city name certainly identified the pride of its inhabitants (perhaps no other city has its initial in its coat of arms so distinctively). The historians could not agree for a long time what the meaning of the half of the eagle on the right side (left side from our view) was. In the end, they concluded that it was a “figure” from the coat of arms of the princes of Těšín who the city belonged to in the 15th and 16th century. So we can explain the figure that Frýdek felt to be protected by these highborn men.
What is interesting about the Místek’s coat of arms?
It is certainly strange that the main motif of the coat of arms of a city that has most likely never had fortification includes crossed hacked tree trunks which the army used to climb on. In this case, it is a remainder of the armorial bearing of Hynek of Frýdlant, belonging to the Lords of Lipé, who owned Místek in the 14th century. And the little roses on the sides and at the top are also original, although the engraver replaced them with three stars for some time in the 18th century, whether to make his work easier or by mistake. But now it is as it should be.
The present figure of the coat of arms was created by Mr. Vilém Kocych in 1992, whose project won the contest for creation of new city symbols, including a flag.